Tuesday, February 7, 2012

One Week of School!!

I know it's been a while but I like to investigate a new country for a bit myself and then post about the place. I feel more informed now and school has temporarily restarted so, I will too!

Let's start back at the end of my English camp. I was told that I'd have to come to school 2 days before it started because that's how my vacation mapped out (26dys only). So I was at school on Thursday and Friday last week "preparing". It's in quotes because apparently other visiting teachers do other things. (Not judging.)

I prepared vocab lists and homework because the students have a hard time with spelling and I feel having the workbook answers in the back hinders their learning. I did waste a lot of Thursday but Friday I made it count.
Went to Seoul on the weekend and was ready for school Monday! Well, kind of. You see I wasn't told anything about how this new year transition works. So let me explain now that I'm more informed.

In korea the schools do a winter break in December/January (depending on where it is. Ask.) And come back for a week of classes in February. A lot of teachers let them watch movies or play but it's ok to teach too. Just remember that by this point they should have finished their textbook.

After this week you will have to come to school for another 2 weeks for planning. Allegedly everyone will be mapping out the new school year and making the schedule. At my school, the teachers will take a 3day 2night trip. I'm invited. Then I have to attend a training workshop for 7dys.

And finally but sadly, the first day of school will be on Friday (result of a federal holiday) the 2nd of March. So we'll see how that goes.
****Wait. Why are you guys going on a trip during planning week? Oh, the school board had given our school a lot of money and it must be spent. Of course we're not allowed to buy school supplies though...

Sometimes we play volleyball together.

This was lunch today. The top right was a type of octopus kimchi. The middle was chicken and noodles. The soup is a popular veggie soup.

This was dinner because our principal's daughter got married. :)  He was very excited. He's about 60yrs old.


It's because of the wedding and joy of the principle that we are obliged to stay after on a Monday and play volleyball and eat dinner. (Not really complainin' since I had no plans...)

No comments:

Post a Comment