Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Elementary One Week (Version 1)

I kind of like this whole two different school types gig. Middle school and Elementary school both should start around 9am, but Elementary actually lags to about 9:20am. Not sure how but it gives me a feeling of refreshedness in the morning.

Anywho, I went in and thought and found the cabinet with flip-flops and switched a pair with my boots. I'm actually getting annoyed of taking off my boots all the time and putting them back on, but you just can't wear outside shoes inside. My feet were getting cold in the sandals though :(

The vice principle came in the same time that I did and she asked what I was there for. I wasn't sure if I'd remembered her from the last time I'd been there (2months ago). I didn't think I understood her question so I just said, "Chonen yung oh sungsangnim imnida." and she said, "oh wah so?" and motioned for me to follow her. [I'm the Eng. teacher, -Oh you're here?]

**Pause!** I don't know how some people go to another country and actually don't understand the language enough for polite conversation. I had planned to feign ignorance to everything, but that went out the window the first time I went there because one teacher asked if I was looking for my child! 0.0 Is there a child that resembles a black person here? Do you think I've adopted a child and just came to school to check up on him? NO MA'AM! No kids from this youngin'!**Resume**

When we got to the office it occurred to me that she was the VP. One of my co-teachers was in there going over plans with another teacher. The VP had apparently forgotten that I was going to be teaching at their school long-term because she immediately started talking to my co-teacher about me. Asking about how often I'd visit and such. The principal came in and we all greeted him. I would like to take the time now to let you in on a cultural tidbit. You want to stand and greet superiors. I was taught this in 5th grade, but over the years I stopped doing it because no one else did and I started feeling too ... much like others thought I thought I was better than them. I won't lie, I feel better than others when I seem better home trained.

We went off to teach the first class. I was expecting and hoping to play games with the 3rd and 4th graders, but my co-teacher had planned for them to go over their lessons. It's funny because yesterday my FB group and I were talking about who would just show movies and who would actually teach. There were sooooo many people that were saying the kids need a break so show a movie or just play games, but honestly for middle school I wanted only to engage in lesson learning. Middle school was done with the book, but I was going to have them do that good old "During my vacation I...." speech :D   I expect to push and get results. I come off a bit too abrasive and bothersome and complex, but I still push even when disagreeing with myself.

My advice...or explanation for those just reading to enjoy my life (*chuckle*)... is that you have a few options about what to do depending on your work situation. My co-teachers seem to have the 'they might as well learn something' attitude. They range within themselves when it comes to who actually teaches a full lesson and who just lets the kids review. Other schools have co-teachers that force you to play a movie. Other schools let you tell them what you'd like to do and might go along with it implementing only minor changes. (Or so my FB group has experienced.)


My coteach and I discussed a few things during the break today. She is very passionate about English and teaching it to students. She aspires to improve her already impressive English and have students, preferably high school, that excel in a way that will make her proud and feel that her effort is worth it.

Now some of you are saying, those other cats were right. Asian kids are in school 20/24/7 and need a good break. They have so much stress and high suicide rates!! I don't deny that the students spend a lot of time in school/classes physically or that the suicide rates are high. My problem lies in the amount of truth to the facts. I have had more than a couple (meaning just 2) Korean friends in my lifetime. I've met them throughout high school and college years in significant numbers. I've befriended a good group of native Korean friends at each stage. I say native because they were studying abroad in the states. Two of them from college have become long term friends.

Why are you telling me this? Because. According to them we muddle the numbers of the students actually studying and trying hard to pass those tests in that 20hrs worth of school. They've told me that it's not that serious. Like a lot of parents, theirs didn't want them to fail and so did carry out punishments at appropriate times, but the majority of the kids are not trying to come out with a 300% in all of their classes. They aren't losing sleep and upsetting their eating habits over school work. They are just being kids. They sleep in class not because they are worn out from class work, but because they are worn out from the physical hours put into class.

In fact I've seen with my own eyes students staying after school to "do their homework" or stick around "in case they need help" only to find them watching kpop mvs, playing video games, and outright socializing with each other. This was 2 hours after school had completely ended! No extra after school program, or volunteer activity, or anything.

I'm writing all of this to encourage one thing. Pay attention to your students. Some of them will go to a hagwon for English among other things, and still not be able to say or spell, "Yesterday I went to the market with my family." -_- Others will beg you in improving English not to give them anymore work and to just let them play a game. They will also talk to you as much as possible. Then you will have those that don't speak due to shyness but can write up a paper like no body's business! With understandable mistakes of course. (Misuse of an article here and there, incorrect conjugation of some adverbs, etc.)

So do what you think is best for your class. My classes need to be pushed this year. So shoving, I will do!  *laughing to self and doing a Hwaiting~~! pose.*


No comments:

Post a Comment