Friday, March 2, 2012

First Day of School~~~!

That's right! It's Friday!!!! lol and the first day of school. Today I arrived at school early I think. It's been so long of a break, I forgot what time is good to get there! I knew classes could start at 9am so I figured 8:30 was good enough...I ended up at school around 8:15 with only a few other teachers already there. Great!


I felt good today. Excited like I've always been for school to start. A lifetime nerd I am. So I jumped on the computer and prettied up my class rules. I also had a my success contract and survey ready. About an hour before class I printed out the copies and showed my co-teacher. She was kind of busy though so she didn't really read it. That's ok though. I briefly chatted with her about some class changes (like my homework counting towards their grades) and she agreed and helped me sort out a few things last week.


...Oh. Before that we had an assembly so that all of the new 7th graders (first grade of middle school) could be welcomed. It was kind of funny watching everyone squirm around because their legs hurt from standing the whole time. I believe a few parents were in the back too. The new students were all in street clothes and had on their sneakers. I asked my co-teacher about it and she said that they would have their uniforms by summer. That works out for me because I had a few things planned for the newbies, but it required their ability to show some personality.


So anyhow this is where the printing out happens and then finally, my first class of the new year! It was 8th grade class A (higher level). I greeted them first and asked about their vacation only to find that noone went anywhere really -_- LAME! haha I then had them read the rules together one by one with me rewording them to see if it'd help the weaker students. I had asked my co-teacher to ask them what they thought of my new reward system. A few of them said it was good when I asked, but I wasn't so sure. Of course she must have mistaken my intentions and instead reexplained all the rules again haha They were so bored. There were only 10 but still.


After I had them do my little survey. Unbeknownst to them, this is how I'll remember birthdays and award with more sought after prizes at the end of each semester. Of course, that depends on their performance.


The bell rang and we had a 10min break. I went back to the teacher's room and ... dilly dallied lol  The bell rang for class time and we went to whip the class B students into shape! Well, kind of. This time I had them read the sentences and I only reworded the harder ones (-_- ones with longer sentences). They caught onto them better but I could see a few lost faces. I passed out survey for them and went around to help and check just like the last class.


Oh. Please. No~~! There are quite a few students that can't spell. They haven't learned to connect words they're trying to express. Worse than that I asked them to make a goal for my class for the year and one for the month. One kid puts "get a 55%" another "25%" !!! 0.0 


"Not in MY class!" I told them. "What? Do you want to scrub floors as a career?" We all laughed and they agreed that that was not their intention. I made them change it to at least 70%. They agreed to try and I told them to think of what they want to be when they grow up. Heck they may not need English then, but they still should do their best for the sake of that GPA.


Welp! I'm gonna get ready for the weekend~~~! Going to Busan to meet up with some other darkies hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment