Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Few Rules for Korean Schools

I work in the public school system. Since a lot of people here are really causing me to doubt their judgments I will just post my own personal thoughts :p
Afterall, this is my blog about my experience. So lets get started.

1.  You should have a co-teacher. This is the person that is dedicated to your well-being (provided you are on good terms). They will be helping you settle into your new home and getting properly documented. Sometimes you teach classes with them, sometimes you don't. This person is usually in charge of the English department of school so they will have a lot on their plate in the case of students. Sometimes they will have to prepare all of the exams, grade them, stay afterschool for homework help until..., etc. Please bear with them.

2.  You probably will start class late because time is not as big an issue as in the states (American here so just ignore this if you're from somewhere else). This does not, however, mean to make your own time schedule. In my personal experience classes are started only 3-5min late.

3.  There are a lot of last minute changes, but so far changes are being done by the time I get to school. So you should check the school's message board (board in the front of the teacher's office) as soon as you get in to make sure your first class is still your first class.

4.  Your school's books are pretty much the same across the country. Whether you will only be allowed to rely on that or not is totally up to your co-workers and how your relationship and understanding is.

5.  You will probably have at least one more Korean English teacher that you will do classes with. You will be the only foreign teacher though.

6.  It is possible that you will have a desk right with everyone else in the teacher's office. I have heard of some people that have their own "office" but I definitely like being around everyone else better.

7.  It is expected that you will eat the school lunch in the cafeteria with everyone else. I eat there with the other teachers and have been informed that it will come out of my paycheck each month. If you bring your lunch you will have to use a "common room". There is also probably a bed in there for when you need a nap lol  Anywho, please use the common room when eating something not provided by the school. They are not trying to alienate you because every teacher has to do it. Some people think this is stupid, but I don't really see a problem with it. Rather than letting everyone see me and start rumors that I think I'm too good for the school's ____, I would just eat in that room.

8.  Some ridiculous bums have decided to just give out prizes like crazy in their classes so the children are expecting it from you. I personally don't give prizes. I might if a holiday is coming or if it's the end of a section and certain kids were on the ball the whole time, but I'm not a sweet teacher. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment