Friday, February 15, 2013

Middle School Enterance Exam Round 2!!

Hello all!

I apologize for falling off the grid again but I am pleased to announce that I will have completed my first full contract on Feb 15th~~~! Today.... Anywho, I signed up to continue until Feb 16th~~~ of 2014~~!

Now to the reason for the post.

As many of you know, the 6th grade elementary students must take an exam to enter middle school year 1 (or 7th grade in the states). Since I worked more at SPE, I just knew that they'd pass the exam with higher scores than YCE. And pass they did! Albeit with not as high of scores as I'd liked. Too bad this exam comes after a 4wk vacay with an English camp that who knows what happened in. 

*My coT said she'd try to prepare them for middle school and used a few things from that book but, today I found out that that was unnecessary.*

In any event, I looked over the placement exam and noticed something horrible. The average of the SPE, YCE and an unknown school (3 kids) was just 48%.  Forty-eight percent. 

So.

The next horrible thing? These sentences came up all through the exam's questions.
"I like to read a book."
"I want to dance....I want to sing...Ok. Then let's do the musical."
"Amy is good at writing a story."
"You look bad. What's the matter with you?"

  -_-   yep. I think throughout this year, I'll pinpoint a few things that you should prepare fore when deciding to teach here. Apparently this is a countrywide thing. I don't know who makes the tests, but I do know that little to know western input is included in the books.

When I teach students, I have them scratch out or white out bad grammar or rude English that's in their books. When I speak with them I correct those "I like to sing a song", and such, phrases that have prevailed here. So, unfortunately, after seeing the test I can finally understand some of the causes of low scores. We can't make state exams, but I would think it'd be a better idea.

*le sigh* This must be because I live in the countryside right? There's no way the bigger cities have these kinds of scores or mistakes right? Let us know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment