Friday, May 18, 2012

It HAS been Forever and I'm Sorry!

Life is so full of everything that I haven't had the time or endurance to write. The semester will be ending July 6th for me so this is the time to pick the ball back up. I have a LOT of stories and pictures to come. Please be patient! :)

 Today was a great day! 

 Middle School 3rd

 It started with my 9th graders' classes being switched up this morning. I had them during second and third period. First up was my dejected, quite, outrageously lower level. Three apples had been losing to mold from late March to last week. Low and behold this morning student X had done 2pgs of homework and showed them to me as well as my co-teacher's stamp of approval even before the bell rang to start class. [Hmmm could it be because of his previous punishments? As I said before, I don't remember him being a "bad" person.] Then he sat at my desk from the beginning of class. I use this as a form of punishment because I stand all of class anyway, and feel that they have less abilities to horse around. He also participated in class despite being a tad lost in the beginning. I'm still curious as to how he transformed into the worst kid over the course of 2wks back in March.

Student Y did the activities with minimal horseplay. He didn't come in and start making faces or moaning around due to nothing. He quietly handed his homework to the co-teach and sat down. He talked a bit in Korean to his neighbor but didn't say much non-class related. [Feels good to at least understand some Korean.] He is the 2nd worst attitude.

Student Z must have been bored but he re-did the whole activity when asked. He still stared at me in the beginning of class. [I tell ya it's annoying trying to find out what he's thinking.] He let other kids answer questions. Yes, LET. He got out of his seat and mingled, as the activity required, when I told him to redo it and proceeded in loud English and said, "SEE! English!" after each step *rolling eyes* I let it go since it's not really wrong. His attitude took the shortest amount of time to crack down on.

Then after a 10min passing period my part B class came in. This is actually my worst behaved class. I always have to punish someone, but not today. I was quite shocked actually. Student X was hyper as usual but I'd used my weekend plans to capture his attention and then quickly moved on to the next activities.[My co-teach hates his attitude because he's hardest to control, but I don't really mind him. Still he is top priority when it comes to "worst kids list".] He only had to be told to calm down once. I am constantly learning how to control him, but I'd say I was successful from the last week of April. Student Y received my attention from the beginning of class and I called on him repeatedly so he didn't cause any distracting trouble. I couldn't figure him out until...end of April too I think. Student Z  has noticed that he's not really liked by his peers. He started off like usual trying to sleep with his head up, but he "woke up" quickly. He answered all my questions with me sitting beside him. Then he did the activity correctly so that I wouldn't sit beside him anymore.

Middle School 2nd

8th grade. These are my angel-like kids. They all come in on-time and they open their books (to whatever page they feel but whatevs). Class flowed with them too this time and they did what I asked. Only punished a few for too much Korean. After that I had games planned that should have been done Monday but.....

Lunch

Lunch was good. After I got a nasty coffee like always and then decided to sit outside with the kiddies. The weather is nice and I prefer to enjoy it. 2nd grade apparently had rights to the field today and played soccer so I watched...kind of. The girls had decided to stay inside and talked to me a bit from the window. Ironically the 9th grade boys including one student X and one Y came out and sat by me. Not just sat, but also tried some general conversation. I was sending them away at first saying, "Go play! It's lunchtime." but they all declined and kept talking. I was actually happy about this because if you can get to know your students, you can smooth over the whole lowly foreigner, evil English teacher stigma. I'm such a mean person too. So if you're nice and your kids don't talk to you, they probably still have that stigma.

And now, I'm waiting for 4:55pm to come. School will be done. I will probably still be here doing computer work till 6 or 7, but then I will be in full preparation of tomorrow's Seoul Jazz Festival 2012~~~~!

No comments:

Post a Comment